Saturday 15 November 2014

The Want Cycle By Rebekah Olayemi

When Aunt Stella asked me to be her guest blogger for the week, I thought long and hard about what to write. I was a bit rusty because it had been a while since I wrote a piece for “pleasure”, after all, the hustle has turned professional! (he he) God de o. Well, I thought long and hard, came up with a few ideas, did not pen them down and lost them. Today is the day I am meant to submit the said post and I am only now flexing my literary muscles. Make I try.

Lately, I have noticed certain patterns. “All I see are patterns, (in an ominous voice), life patterns". I tag them the “Want Cycle” and here is what I mean. We all were once screaming little`uns in the arms of our mothers, as we grow up we begin to want and need various things. Usually, our prayers are answered and we bask in the euphoria until it wears off and we “upgrade” and want more. We go to school with the wish to graduate. We graduate, then we want a job. We get the job, then we want to get married. We get married, then we want kids. We get kids, then we want money to provide for them. In our later years, we upgrade to wanting enough money saved for retirement, wanting grandchildren, good health, etc. I bet on our death beds, we shall still have some outstanding wants. 

Top of the list is the achievement of a dream. I am sick of hearing myself whine about my own shortcomings. All I hear around me are excuses; ”the situation is not yet perfect, somebody is holding me down, if only I had more money”, etc. Sound familiar? “I need a better environment” said my colleague the other day as we discussed a business opportunity which had practically fallen into his lap. Just the week before he had said “ I will retire at 40”.

Our excuses are fighting karate with our wants. It seems like only yesterday I moved to Abuja, in fact it will be a year in a fortnight. Apart from at work where I proffer innovative solutions (at least I’d like to think they are), save my employer some money by noticing details no one else does, and introduce money-making initiatives that increase the reach of the company, everything else has been one long stream of monotony. Most of my dreams and aspirations, my wants, are exactly where I left them a year ago. Time is simply flying folks and nothing can slow it down. Think about something you had always wanted to do, that is still where it was five years ago. Beneath the excuses is good ol` fear of failure. If you never try, you will never know! 

Well, I have decided, ("Yet again", my conscience says to me in an ominous voice), that if I want something, I will get off my lazy behind and go for it simply because I am afraid of waking up one morning when I am gray haired with wobbly hips (hehe), to ask my grandchild ”where did the time go?” 

So, I guess all I have been trying to say to you dear reader is to stop the excuses and go for that 'want". Want to start a food blog? Go for it starting today. Is it to own a business? Make the plan and go for it. Need to self-develop for better employment prospects? Make a savings plan and go for it. If Aliko Dangote had kept on pushing his wants till tomorrow like a lot of us, on hearing the name “Dangote”, surely we would be like “huh? Na name of dance?”.


Disclaimer: Nothing ominous about the ominous voices in this article :)

3 comments:

  1. Well done Becky! I would rather try and fail than not try at all because not trying at all would make me wonder if I would have succeeded had I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good one. Tried commenting when it was written but our 'friends' refused. I guess we are all caught in the 'want' circle

    ReplyDelete

Search